How long have you been staying at home in the last few months because of the pandemic?
We bet it is longer compared to when you were working before 2020. However, what’s more interesting to know are the answers to these three question:
- Is your AC unit clean?
- Has long since it was last serviced by an AC technician?
- When was the last time it was checked to see any potential problems?
So why are these questions important?
It’s because dirty air conditioning systems can cause serious health problems to your family, especially with COVID-19. Therefore, regular AC cleaning and maintenance are important.
Why regular AC cleaning can keep you away from health problems?
A dirty AC unit can carry viruses, including the COVID-19, in your home. That’s why cleaning it is important. What health problems can it deliver to your family? Read on.
Health problems caused by a dirty air conditioning system
Once a dirty aircon blows air inside your home, germs and viruses can be mixed with it. Those viruses can circulate inside your home and cause you to experience the following.
- Lung diseases
- Severe asthma
- Nasal problems
If you think that you or anyone in your family is experiencing these health problems, make sure to seek medical advice. As for your AC, calling an expert AC technician to check and clean it will be the best thing to do. This way, your AC won’t have further moulds and dirt inside it that can contaminate the air blown by it.
Cleaning your air conditioning unit
Now that we’ve shown you the various health problems you can get from a dirty AC, here’s what you can do to reduce further contamination from your AC. You can do this until the experts arrive and properly clean your unit.
Switch the AC off at the power source
Before starting to dust and clean the dirt on your AC, make sure that you switch it off and unplug it from the power source. This ensures you won’t get electrocuted during the cleaning process.
Remove dust and cobwebs in the ceiling
After you switch off your AC, you can now start to sweep off dust and cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and around your unit. These can be sucked by your AC and clog its filters, which can make your unit dirty and result in poor AC performance.
Wipe off the dust and debris on and around the AC unit
The next step is, take your feather duster or damp cloth and wipe off the dust on the outer part of your AC. You can use a spray bottle with ½ vinegar and ½ water mixture. See to it that you’ll completely dry your AC unit before you leave it.
You can also sweep off the floors and wipe furniture near your AC. This will help reduce dust and small particles that may get sucked into your unit.
Clear the outside unit’s surrounding
Once you’re done cleaning the inside unit and the room where it’s located, you can now go through the outside unit.
Sweep off and make sure that the outside unit’s surroundings are clutter-free. Take off dead leaves, grass, and other garbage that may be lying around. These can be stuck inside the outside unit and cause bigger problems.
These are some of the cleaning methods you can apply until an expert AC technician arrives. Make sure to avoid trying to clean the main AC units by yourself. Why? Because it’s a dangerous job and might experience bigger problems. It’s better to leave it to the experts.
Get your AC unit professionally cleaned
Calling for an expert AC technician to service, clean, repair, and maintain is a must. They can carry out proper cleaning and repair methods according to your AC’s need. Plus, if it is in a workplace they’re allowed by the law to do it. So, you don’t need to worry about getting any penalties from doing it by yourself.
Here at BC & TM Leggatt, you can ensure that your unit is cleaned based on standards. We do not use harmful chemicals. Our cleaning process only uses pressurised steam, water and natural & Organic cleaning products. This is the gentlest yet most thorough way of cleaning your air conditioner, and it has the added benefit of being 100% environmentally friendly.
Remember, your AC can still get dirty over time. That’s why you need to have it regularly cleaned by a professional. This will help ensure that it’ll work efficiently and remain safe for you and your family’s well-being.